“If you get your view of the world from the news, you’re always going to think that we’re living in violent times.”
– Steven Pinker
What’s the message of the mainstream media? Be afraid! Stay inside! Out there are Isis, the 1% staling your money and clowns! No wonder we feel anxious and afraid even though we live in the safest era in human history.
The Lab Report – 006 – “Quit the News”
I stopped following the news about 3 years ago. I don’t read any newspapers, I don’t listen to the radio and I don’t follow any blogs or news feeds.
How has this experiment pan out?
Short term effects: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
– “Fear of Missing Out” might haunt you in the beginning – don’t worry, if it’s important (most news aren’t) you will hear about it.
– Fearmonger stories triggers stress and spikes your cortisol. Without these spikes you can enjoy a stronger immune system.
Long term effects: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
– Reduced fear and anxiety.
– Less drama, more focus.
– The media is experts at masking us feel concerned. Being concerned makes us feel like we are doing something while we’re not. Now you freed up time to do shit.
– You might work at a job where you’re unable to control news exposure i.e a places where TVs and radios on all the time.
– Social media feeds can be challenging to manage. I solved it by not looking at social media feeds.
– Ones your out off it, and if you pay attention to the positive effects, then it’s very hard to relapse.
FINAL VERDICT: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Quitting the news is the closest thing I’ve found to a silver bullet for improved happiness and inner peace. 👌🏻 ☯️
Of course you should not take my word for it. Think for yourself. And also -what is the counter argument to what I just said? 🧐 🤔