We all talk about the importance of reflection and planning ahead. To slow down, to gain perspective, to make sure the ship is on route. But do we actually take time to do it? What happens when we take a step back and look at the whole picture?
Get some real quality time with the notepad and pen. Minimize distractions (reading, tv, phone) and ideally find a cabin in the wood or other low stimulus environments; review the year that has gone buy, re-evaluate your goals and uncover the actions you have to take to go forward.
PHASE 1: SLOW DOWN ⭐️⭐️⭐️
- The start of the week was all about getting present and slow things down. I had myself booked into a Japanese spa for one night (I wanted to do 1 week in a cabin in the woods, but it didn’t fit my life situations this year.)
- Activities for this phase: sauna, baths, zen mediation, goal mediation, silence, yoga.
- The key is to get a better access to your genius, your unconscious and your creativity. This is best done in a state of calm presence.
- Just as I really got relaxed and got my creative thinking going, it was time to leave the spa 😢.
PHASE 2: REFLECTION: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
- I reviewed the past 12-months from my journal. It turned out to be a powerful practice. So many thinks have happened that I almost forgot about. A great way of gauging your momentum.
- Reviewed my short-, mid- and long term goals. What this really what I want to spend my energy towards?
PHASE 3: STRATEGY ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
– This is where the planning happens. Goals get updated in light of new insights. Problems where broken down to actionable tasks. A 6-month strategy, based on my goals, takes shape accompanied with specific action items.
FINAL VERDICT: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- I have never been more well prepared and sure on the How, What When and Why of the immediate future.
- The hardest part was to stay in reflection and planning mode as ideas came to me. I was so eager to start executing.
- On the last day I got TWO ideas for unique and cool projects out of nowhere. The unconscious always delivered if it gets the proper conditions.
This is only one of many experiments. Check out the full list!